Friday 1 February 2019

Snow day, I feel like a fraud

We have been forecast snow for a few days but it only actually materialised last night. It was snowing gently all night long and this morning we have a lovely winter wonderland scene outside.
Just before the sun came up before the kids ruined the clean snow!

So the first thing to do in the UK is check your email to see if your kid's schools are closed. Yes, they have been shut.

A lot of people complain about the schools closing at the first sighting of a snowflake and to be fair we are a nation of babies in this respect. We had a total of about 3 inches snow overnight and now it's stopped.

Trying to figure out if they have enough snow for an igloo
As a country, we are always woefully underprepared for any bad weather, snow, flooding, drought, whatever. We seem to be reactive rather than proactive. Partly, I think because we don't really suffer from bad weather in the way that many other countries do. We often don't have any snow for instance. This is why many drivers haven't got a clue how to drive in snow. They've never had to. So keeping these drivers off the road isn't a bad thing.

There is an upside to a snow day though. The kids don't see snow that often so it's nice for them to have some wholesome fun in it while they can. It'll likely be slush and ice tomorrow. It's been lovely seeing and hearing all the kids playing outside in the snow. It' seems that snow has the power to get them to put down their phones for a while and get outdoors. That can't be a bad thing.

I've got kids running indoors every couple of hours for a hot drink, a quick pee and a chance to warm up before they bundle up and run back out again. It warms my heart.

Little Sammy and Cecily eating their fill
I do feel a bit like I'm missing out as I'm not out there myself. I have to be very careful not to fall and get too cold thanks to various chronic illnesses. If Matt was home I would be more inclined to go out for a walk in it during daylight as it is so pretty and my camera finger is twitching. Maybe there'll be some on the weekend when he's off work.

Yes, that's right, Matt has done his usual commute to work this morning despite the snow. He doesn't want to get behind or lose a days holiday. That and he can easily get there taking a bit of care on the roads.

Many of the local buses weren't running this morning, or they were running limited routes. This is usually why I think the schools close. These days most children are bused to school as over a generation the smaller schools have been closed in favour of busing kids to a super school. There are over 1800 children in Missy's school and they are still talking about expanding!! There were about 550 in mine 30 years earlier. So the schools are then at the mercy of buses running as the children (and staff) don't live close enough to walk. At least it doesn't happen too many days each year.

No wildlife out today
I've also been looking after my little furry friends during this cold snap. I topped up the feeders for the birds and squirrels a few days ago so they've been well fed before the ground froze and now they can cosy up together in their nests and wait it out.

You can see a quick snap I took of two squirrels getting their share of seeds and suet. These two often come over together as the little one, Sammy I call her, is still quite timid.

This morning though I haven't seen any wildlife out. Even our Suki cat doesn't want to go out for a pee. Missy has managed to coax him out the front where the car was and it's clear. He was out for 5 minutes and is now asleep on the back of the sofa where I've no doubt he'll stay.

I think it's time now that I make a big batch of pancakes to warm everyone up. I'd better go easy on the milk though!




No comments:

Post a Comment